Friday, May 21, 2010

"a beautiful tear"

Sonia Rykiel


While working on my distressed project, I've been feeling rather inspired by Zandra Rhodes as of late... and I don't think I'm the only one!
Her 'conceptual chic' collection inspired by punks in the 70's is probably the most amazing in my mind... Her incredible shredded garments were held together by 14k gold Cartier safety pins and pearls, and holes in the fabric were embroidered with beads.
The fact that she laboured over creating "a beautiful tear" is kinda fascinating but also totally relative to today's fashion industry! If you're wearing jeans right now there's a good chance that someone somewhere laboured over making them just faded enough, or just a little ripped at the knee or whatever.... And I'm sure there are A TON of very specific 'quality' standards that have to be met for those ripped stone-washed jeans.
i.e. those tears on your jeans must be beautiful by some standard or else you wouldn't be wearing them.

Anyways. I've found that lately a lot of designers seem to be inspired by Zandra in some way as her influence seems to be popping up everywhere in the details. Pleats, pearls, holes, rips, cutaway hems, tie dye, faded prints, etc etc.... They're suddenly everywhere!
So my point is that Zandra is awesome and everyone should love her. Yay!


vintage Zandra Rhodes



Sonia Rykiel

Nina Ricci

Givenchy

Rodarte

3.1 Phillip Lim

Alexander Wang

Givenchy

Giambattista Valli

Nina Ricci

Marc Jabocs




1 comment: